Friday, May 4, 2012

All grown up...

We always think our own kids are cute, but Katelyn has been putting in some extra effort lately and we just can't get enough of her.  She is talking more and more and her little voice is so sweet.  She has a few phrases that she says now that make us smile like, "I dot (got) it." and "I'm ready." and "Dis (this) is funny." or "silly" or "towt (cold)" and "see (she/he) saa (sad)"

We are enjoying her talking and she likes to keep our attention.  She enjoys reading and lately her favorites have been Duck on a Bike and Alice the Fairy.  She likes to read those with us, but the rest she likes to "read" on her own.  I have been trying to catch this on video for a while and she would always stop once she realized I had the camera out, but she cooperated this time and it was perfect.



Isn't her voice cute?!  She is very expressive when she talks and tells stories and laughs and uses her hands to help me understand her story or whatever she is talking about. 

She is getting very independent and I am trying to learn how to give up some of my control so she can learn how to do things.  This power struggle has been such a learning game for David and I with eating, getting dressed, opening doors, checking the mail, buckling up, and nearly everything else.  Some things aren't negotiable (like her seat belt) and have to be done right for safety's sake, but most things just take patience and we enjoy watching her try things when we aren't in rushed situations.

Here's how she puts her shirts on when she does it on her own.  Sometimes she gets her arms in the arm holes, but hasn't figured out how to get her head in there so this is good enough for her.

She accomplished something pretty big this week and got BOTH feet off the ground when she jumped.  It is one of those things that I never thought of as being hard, but jumping really is a talent!  She usually just flung her arms up and only got to her tip toes, then she learned to get one foot up, and with a lot of demonstration from David and I, she finally got both feet.  Big accomplishments going on around here...watch out for us!

Speaking of big accomplishments...I mentioned how David is very eager to get Katelyn reading and writing and doing geometry and calculus and he has been going at it!  He got the Leap Frog videos that teach the letters and sounds and they aren't bad.  They are entertaining compared to most kids learning videos I have seen, and Katelyn likes them too.  In the last month she has learned about half of her letter sounds, and the other half are close but still need work.  She watches the video here and there, but she likes the flash cards with the letters on them and brings them to me to do them with her every other day or so.  She usually lasts for 5 minutes and then is done and loses interest and goes off to do something else.  I am excited she likes them and is enjoying the learning, but David is about to wet his pants and already has the sight words DVDs because he is so proud and excited for her.  I am trying to hold him down a little and keep his eagerness under control so he doesn't over-do it.  I am excited for her to learn and I don't want her to be behind and I feel like I am on track for most "parents with their first born" excitement but David is ready to blow everyone out of the water and would start prepping her for the SAT and ACT's if I would let him :)

Katelyn pronounces her "C" and "K" with the "T" sound and I love that she says her name as "tay-ta" as she hasn't figured out how to get her mouth to say her "L" and "N" either.

Katelyn loves to wrestle us and anytime we are down on her level she can't resist and pounces on us.  I can never get it on video because I can't video myself, and David is never dressed appropriately for everyone else to see when he's home :)  But she loves to tickle, jump, steamroll, sit on, and nuzzle in for hugs and kisses while she wrestles.  She faked me out yesterday when I thought she was going for a hug or kiss and then she head-butted me in the eyebrow for a nice feeling bruise.  She loves having our full attention and puts on a show with her singing, dancing, jabbering, reading, peek-a-boo-ing, and playing tag.  She is our sweet little girl!

 

1 comment:

Crissa Rae said...

SO cute! I'm glad we're not the only ones trying to teach our little girl things like that at a "younger than normal" age! I think that some of the things that David wants to do with her are possible. :) (Probably not prepping for SATs and ACTs, but ya know, learning letters, numbers, and reading are!) Glad to hear you guys are doing well! We'd love to see you if you have some time next time you're here!