Friday, June 15, 2012

Olympic Birthday

For my birthday this year we actually had a little party.  I thought it would be fun do have an Olympics theme to it with the summer Olympics coming up soon in London.  We had four different families there that are some friends of ours and the Bares came to play too!  We started with some trivia to see what we all know about the games.  Did anyone know that there is such a thing as mascots for the olympics?

Annotated Image of Wenlock and Mandeville
This is Wenlock and Mandeville, the mascots of the London 2012 Olympics. We all had no idea there were even such things as Olympic mascots.  Kind of weird if you ask me.

We had a nacho bar for lunch and had all sorts of toppings that made them more than just cheese and chips...yum!!

We played some "official" games.  We played balloon volleyball and we saw some fancy moves!
 We did the discus with paper plates.  I had no idea I was so good at it!  I might have won this one or possibly tied with David. 
 Chris had good form, but couldn't quite beat his little sister :)  It's about time I start beating my brothers at something!
The kids just loved chasing balloons around and the slightest breeze would send the balloons across the yard.  It made our games a little difficult sometimes, but we all survived.

We had a relay race with our fancy torches, plates and balloons.  The small breeze made for a dramatic ending with Tricia and I.  David took over the filming and then got to excited about the race that he missed Tricia and I fighting the breeze to get to the finish.  Katelyn did well with her leg of the race and Liam wasn't sure if he even wanted to race until he saw Katelyn do it and David and Chris put more effort in guiding their kids to them then they did getting the balloon back to us.  There were lots of laughs and I got lucky that a breeze pulled Tricia's balloon into the bushes so I could pull ahead for the win.  She probably just let me win since it was my birthday :)

I made a yummy lemon cake (is it against the rules to make your own birthday cake?) and decorated the top with the Olympic rings.  I never got a picture of it, but you can see it in the video sort of.

It was a fun, low key yummy party and we only gave out silver medals because we only have silver foil :)


1 comment:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

So fun! Glad you had a great birthday!