Saturday, April 10, 2010

What is it?!




We had our big and exciting ultrasound this week.  We didn't care what we have growing in my belly, but we really just wanted to know what it was. . .boy or girl!  I was very excited and nervous all at the same time just in case we didn't find out because our baby wouldn't cooperate or something.  
So. . . they were doing the ultasound and I was just trying to keep up with what was being looked at and didn't want to accidentally miss the announcement!  The doctor was looking at the head, the spine, the bones, and seemed to be saving the BIG NEWS for last and I was getting ancy.  She finally took a peek between the legs of  our baby who was kicking and squirming . . .probably because the baby was just as ancy and excited as we were. 
So after all of this, we found out that we are having a girl!  My nephew made a comment a while back when my sister was pregnant about how you could tell if it was a girl if the baby had a pink bow!  I hope he's not disappointed, but we didn't see any pink bows anywhere on that baby.  We didn't find anything between the legs and there were some other little things that the doctor saw that didn't even make sense to me, but she said it looked like a girl.  She went back to check to make sure that the baby wasn't hiding something. . . who knows what that could be, ha ha!  But she didn't find it!  
As a little sidenote, during the ultrasound, the doctor was looking around and looking at the different organs and such of our little baby, and would freeze the image, label it, and save it.  She was going through and then I saw her type in ovary.  I perked up and asked, "Oh is that the baby's ovaries?"  Thinking that this was a sure sign we were going to be having a girl, and she kind of laughed and apologized and clarified that those were MY ovaries she was looking at.  How was I supposed to know?  She explained what she was doing a little more after that and made sure to clarify if she was looking at my body, or our little baby's.  
As we watched the whole ultrasound on a tv in front of us, David and I were a little lost sometimes.  The doctor would tell us what we were looking at and sometimes David and I would look at each other and back at the screen, and just shrug our shoulders and smile because it just looked like a black and white jungle in there.  

This picture is one of those. . . supposedly this shows her upper lips. . . of the face, I'm guessing?  Sure why not!

We loved it when we were able to identify what we were looking at.  This is my favorite. . . the bent legs and the cute little baby bum!  The umbilical cord is pretty cool looking too, but the little bum is definitely my favorite!  The full body shots, seeing the ribs and spine, hands, feet, and the little heart were fun!  Everything looks like it should to me and it was fun to see our little girl kicking and squirming as I was even able to feel some of the kicks.  We weren't able to get a good profile shot of our little girl because her face was nuzzled into my lower back or something.  They tried to get a shot of it but it just looked creepy to us.

David really liked the little foot print in this one.  He got to see our little baby for the first time and was really excited too.  He is perfectly fine that it is a girl.  He didn't mind either way because, "table tennis can be played by boys or girls."  No joke, that was his reasoning for why he didn't care!  I think as long as he gets at least one boy along the way, he will be happy with the rest being girls.  

I walked out with an envelope of ultrasound pictures and David was very excited that he got this cool Spider Man sticker!  The sticker was only cool while he was at home, but when it came time to go play ping pong with his buddies, Spider Man wasn't too cool anymore and had to stay home to "protect the girls".  
David is very excited to be a Dad . . . just look at that face!  I think he will make sure he comes to all my appointments if he gets a sticker out of it :)
We are trying to figure out a name that we can both agree on.  We were pretty much set if were a boy, but now we are looking through girl names.  It is so tough!  David thinks a lot of names are weird or that they sound too Asian or African and I think they sound cute.  I think his ideas of names are boring, so we are going to have to figure this out somehow.  There are just too many things to think about and I haven't come across one that fits just right, so we will just have to see!
Today is David's 24th birthday (I think that is a full box of candles!) and he is off playing ping pong, so I better get started on his cake.  I asked him if he wanted cake, pie, or CHEESECAKE and kept trying to convince him that he wanted cheesecake for his birthday, but it didn't work.  He requested a cookies 'n cream cake. . ."just like the one we had from our wedding."  That was the top layer of our cake that we took with us on our honeymoon and ate for my birthday the next week (no we didn't want to save it) and I had one piece, but David was in heaven and I think he ate that cake for every meal until it was finished so I don't exactly remember how it tasted.  So I am going to attempt to make one for our little celebration tonight and we will see if I am just as good as the "wedding cake lady!"  Happy Birthday Cutie Pie!

1 comment:

Crissa Rae said...

Lorry! YAY! I'm so excited for you! I love the Spider Man sticker! That's so David! :) James & I were talking about you guys the other day, and how much we miss you! Maybe we'll have to take a vacation when I'm done with school and come visit you. that would be fun! Hope everything is going well!