Thursday, August 18, 2011

Look what I Made!

I inherited a beauty of a sewing machine.  Well, no one died for me to get this, but my mom has her own fancy one so she gave me this one.  It is pretty old, but that makes it so much better...maybe.  But the important thing is that it works!  It can sew strait lines and that's all I know how to do so I'm happy!

At a yard sale there was a ton of fabric for super cheap so I grabbed a bag full for just $5 and have gone to town.  It has been fun so far!

David wasn't so excited to get this as it comes with the desk and I put it up in our room.  He knows that this crafty space won't just stay within the boundaries of the cabinet/desk so he worries how fast I can make a "mess with this stuff" (that's what he thinks it is).  As I started on my first project, he was excited that I was actually using this sewing machine and it wasn't just hogging space.  He warmed up to the little thing and wanted to try it out himself!  He watched a couple intro to sewing videos on YouTube and then went for it.


and this is what he made...
 ...a fun little toy dice for Katelyn and it even has a homemade rattle in the middle of it :)  Here's how we made it...Cloth Blocks Tutorial

I have been addicted to this site...http://www.makeit-loveit.com and some other crafty blogs and have followed tutorials to make all of the things I've made.  You can learn almost anything on the internet for free!  Hooray!

Here is my first project...Diaper and Wipes Case...  I first covered a wipes case to make it pretty (no sewing) and then I made a case to hold diapers so I don't have to swim through the diaper bag anymore looking for a diaper.

This is my most recent project and I almost ruined it and threw it away but I saved it and made it work and I love it!  This dress is pretty simple...Braided collar dress...not too shabby!



 I couldn't get Katelyn to look at me...or smile.  She was perfectly happy and giggly and then once I turned on my camera Katelyn was so distracted.
 That cat kept on inching forward and at first Katelyn was ok with it but it kept on getting closer and closer and it started to scare her.  I have never been a fan of cats and this one annoyed me just like they usually do.  And this is the cat that has torn up my welcome mat...:(

I also made some of these ...Bandana Dress...this pink one, a black one and a blue one.

They are cute, but not my favorite.  You can see the short and the long spots...those are supposed to be there I promise.  But it makes it tricky for Katelyn to wear with her walking, crawling  and standing and getting caught on the long parts as she moves.  Right now the short spots make it too short for dresses, but the long spots make it too long for skirts.  I might trim the long spots off and turn them all into skirts.  

Here is a cool project that is surprisingly simple.  I made this neat scripture cover ...Scripture case tutorial...and I even modified it since my Bible is separate from my Book of Mormon combination but I still wanted them to be together and only have one set of straps.


It has been fun and I have plenty of fabric left to make some more cute stuff.  I love that I have been able to make things that I can actually take into public without being completely embarrassed :)



No comments: