Saturday, January 14, 2012

Hello from Charlston

This week has been a little different.  When we got back from our fun Christmas vacation out west, we came home to find out that David was assigned to an audit in West Virginia.  Honestly we didn't know where it was or how far it would be.  So we were a little surprised that it was about 6 hours away.  He isn't usually assigned to audits this far away, but they needed some help so he got put on the job.

This is a three week assignment, so Katelyn and I decided to tag along and let David's company spoil us.  We didn't want to be apart for so long after spending so much time apart before Christmas.  I could never be a military wife.

So we have been hanging out here and we are enjoying it.  This city is a little different and strange.  It is kind of dingy/dirty/dark looking (but that might have a lot to do with how rainy it has been, but it did snow and I was hoping it would be so pretty and bright, but it was still grey/dark outside ) and the city is spread out funny as it stretches along the highway instead of a clump like most cities I am used to.  The people are kind of hillbilly but in their own east coast style. They call grocery carts "buggies" and they didn't like it when I giggled about that, but it caught me off guard.  Some people have thick "twang" accents and others are "normal" like me :)  (because I am the perfect normal right?)  There aren't very many colors of people here...just white ones that I have seen.  They are very proud of their high school wrestling and I have heard a lot about the upcoming tournament.  They are also proud that they are the home of Marshall University (WE ARE....MARSHALL!) and the university that has the blue and gold W stacked on the V but they are pretty good at football and basketball I think...I am assuming its West Virginia University or University of West Virginia, but I don't want to ask because I might lose "buggy" privileges for asking such a silly question. :)

Our hotel has a kitchen in it, so we don't have to eat out all the time.  We are too cheap to buy fancy meals at fancy restaurants, so eating out all the time is fast food...which gets really old, really fast.  So it has been nice to be able to get groceries and eat real food and real meals and have someone make our bed and fold our towels really nice :)

Katelyn has enjoyed exploring new places to play and hide.  She is loving the cupboards and drawers now and everything turns into a game of hide and seek with that girl.  I have been putting her hair up on top in a little pig tail (that sounds weird) and it makes her look so much more like a toddler to me.  With not knowing the place and spending a lot of time here at the hotel with her, it has been fun playing with her and not having much to do but soak her up.  I have loved that she likes to have me sit on the floor with her to eat her veggies.  She rarely eats them on her own, but if I get on the ground with her with the bowl between us, she giggles and thinks it is so much fun to be eating with Mom. She really goes to town eating the "yucky" stuff when I am there eating them with her.

She is still loving books, especially ones with cats, dogs, or bears in them.  
She had one really bad day with two big chomper molars coming in and a tooth up front, that made her pretty miserable with a fever for a day.  She slept so much of the day and when she was awake, she just wanted to be snuggled.  She had a day like this at the cabin in Idaho and Papa the snuggly Bare cuddled up with her all day.  This time I got to snuggle with her.  She sure was hot!  She slept through the night and woke up her regular perky self, back to normal.  Those molars haven't come through all the way and have been giving her a hard time so I hope they will be nice to that little girl as they finish coming in.

We ventured out and found a recommended restaurant called SOHO tonight and enjoyed it.  It was a little Italian place and I got some soup that looked disgusting, but it actually tasted good.  It was a pleasant surprise.  It wasn't "that" good of a place from what we ordered, but we saw some things that other people ordered that looked tasty, so maybe we ordered the wrong thing.  

The internet here drives me nuts!  It takes a million years to upload photos and I have been spoiled and had reliable fast internet, so I am not being very patient  with it.  I have lots more to post about the past month and I hope to get it all done before we leave West Virginia and head back to Baltimore because we are going to be busy packing and moving the week after!  YAY!  I am excited to get a little further away from the city, and we get to stay in the same ward!  I also have some new personal goals that have been keeping me busy in a good way.  This year should be a good one!

No comments: