Friday, January 6, 2012

Yard Sale

Back in November I was in a rut with the clothes I had, but with didn't want to spend a lot buying new clothes...well I did, but I knew it wouldn't be a smart choice.  I had heard that a family was hosting a multi- family yard sale with all sorts of good stuff.  So I went for it thinking maybe they had some cute clothes that were in good shape for cheap and we were looking for some furniture too.  I usually don't do yard sales because I always feel like I am being watched like a hawk and sometimes I am the only one there and I feel bad if I just come and then I don't like any of their stuff and I don't want to offend them and tell them their stuff is junk or that it is over priced by leaving right away.  So when I heard that this was going to be a big one I thought I could at least find something I liked and if not there would probably be a lot of people there and I could sneak off and not offend anyone by not buying any of their stuff.

I got there and started browsing.  I had Katelyn with me so David could go off and enjoy some table tennis.  I found that there was a lot of good stuff for real!  I loved it!  I found a lot of shirts and fun stuff.  I got some fabric and a few crafty things and a couple movies too.  I took my time searching through stuff and Katelyn enjoyed following their dog around even though he kept trying to steal her snacks.  I think she was half teasing him though but wasn't always fast enough to pull her cracker back before he snatched it. About half way through I had an armful of items and Katelyn in the other arm with a freshly stinky diaper.  I went and asked the people that were hosting it if they could set my stuff aside while I went to my car to change her diaper.  They didn't mind at all.

I was changing her diaper and I just laid her on the seat while I stood outside of the car with the door open to air out the car and not trap myself in the car with the smell...ew.  (Is it normal that once I smell that she is stinky, I hold my breath or only breathe through my mouth until she's clean?)  

That cracker-snatching dog came by the car and probably smelt what we were up to and didn't listen to me when I tried to shew him away.  He wasn't in my way, but I was nervous that he was out by the street and I didn't want him running out into the street and getting hit.  I should have known though.  Right as I took off Katelyn's dirty diaper, I set it to the side and started cleaning her up.  The usual.  That silly dog snuck right in between me and the open car door and snatched the dirty diaper!  I screamed a little and told the dog, "Wait!" but he didn't listen and he took off like he won the jackpot.  I didn't even wrap up the diaper yet!  I always wait until I am done with the wiping, and then wrap it up.  He bolted across the huge yard (these people had like two acres) and was running around with a disgusting...OPEN...dirty diaper!  I was a little embarrassed but I laughed a little too realizing what was going on and hurried up and put Katelyn's new diaper and pants back on and the chase was on.  

I ran over towards the dog and he just stared me down as I hurried to him with Katelyn and maybe I should have had some of Katelyn's crackers out.  I was hoping he would give it up and nobody would have to know, but as I got close enough to grab it, he bolted again.  Oh great!  The wives that were hosting the yard sale were wondering what was going on with this lady and her baby running to the dog and then the dog running off to be alone with something in his mouth.  I think they thought it was something from one of the tables that I wanted to buy and one lady said, "I don't think she'll buy that anymore."  I laughed and told them what it was.  I wasn't very close to them though so I had to shout it so not only did they hear, but all the others that were shopping heard loud and clear and got real interested in what was going on when I said, "Your dog has my baby's diaper in his mouth!"

And her response, "Is it dry and clean?"

"Nope!  Wet and poopy!"  I hollered back across the yard.

Everyone kind of gasped and chuckled at the same time as they were grossed out thinking about how friendly that dog was when they were petting him as he wandered from stranger to stranger earlier.  The lady sounded like an marine Sargent as she called out the orders, "Catch that dog and get the diaper out of his mouth!"  

All the kids that were hanging out while parents hosted the yard sale and any other kids that were there joined in on the game.  The dog was loving all of it too.  He was dodging kids left and right and bouncing around as he ran all through them.  The kids and teenagers would get close and then realize what they were trying to grab as he ran by and would pull their hand back and let him run by.  Katelyn and I and the moms were all equally entertained and grossed out at the same time.  Finally one mom got serious and told the dog to sit and drop, and once that dog realized she was serious, he listened even though he seemed bummed that the fun was over.  We all giggled a little more about what all just happened and then returned to our shopping.  The mom apologized and was embarrassed about what her dog did, and I apologized too and we  both shared a laugh about how helpless we both were in that circumstance.

I finished up my browsing and was happy with all the fun stuff I found.  As I left to go home I couldn't stop giggling thinking of telling this story to David.  Just another yard sale...


No comments: