Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Trip Home-Part 1...The Arrival

Alright....For the second half of the summer (mid-July to end of August) I was in Washington. I have a lot to share about that trip and I want to get it all down before it gets too far away!

First things first, I had to get there.  I was really excited about this but I had my doubts too.  I was nervous how Katelyn would do on the flights.  I had three different flights and a couple layovers and it was going to be a very, very long day if she didn't feel like cooperating.  I was so relieved because she was heavenly!  After check-in and security we ran...well she ran, I walked and followed her bouncy excited run...all over the airport.  By the time it was time to board, she was excited about the plane and checked out my seatbelt and the airplane magazines and the fold down tray and then was ready for a nap!  She did this with each layover and I hardly needed the bag of quiet toys I brought.  The flight home was very similar.  We needed the bag of toys a little more, but she did so well!  Hooray!!

The part I was excited about was my arrival at the airport!  Little did my family know, I was 6 1/2 months pregnant!  I had a stranger get a video of my Dad and sister Tracie's reaction when they realized my growing belly.

It was such a fun surprise!  My dad's first thought was that I wasn't going to be able to play tennis with him!  I did bring my racket and we played three different times!  I was holding Katelyn in front of me and then I pulled her to the side when I said, "We're here!" which generated the squeal from my sister...perfect!  My brother got engaged in January, we found out we were pregnant in February and we were trying to decide how to announce it to our families and thought it would be so awesome to wait until I went home for the wedding!  We survived and had to tell a lot of lies because we kept getting questions about when we were having more kids...especially from Mom and Dad!

Our flight arrived at midnight so there was a crew at home that were kind of sleepy eyed but came to say hello.  My youngest brother Luke (18) gave me a hug and wasn't sure if I had gotten chunky or if it was a baby.  He was staring at my belly and looked so concerned and as I gave Matt a hug (he didn't notice/have any idea) Luke even leaned over to be able to see my belly around Matt and my hug.  I made eye contact with him and smiled and that must have been the trigger for him because he smiled back and asked, "Are you having a baby?!"  Matt probably thought he should smack Luke for going against the man-code and asking, but then realized my belly and wondered how he didn't notice too!

My mom heard that I was home and came to say hello before she really went to bed.  She was "waiting up for me" or took a little nap so she came down with sleepy eyes.  She didn't even have her glasses on and noticed my belly and after she hugged me then she asked about the big belly saying, "So what is this belly all about?"  She couldn't believe I had kept it a secret for that long!  My parents thought I might come home and announce a baby, but not that much of a baby!

I mailed out pictures of us with the balloons and our announcement to the family members that weren't at home...little did I know, the pen I used to write a note on a card with the picture was not a good choice.  It is a "Pilot Frixion" pen, so it is erasable with friction or with the eraser on the end of it.  The science behind it is that the heat of the friction is what makes it erase.  I wrote all of these notes on the cards, put the cards and the pictures in the envelopes, stamped and addressed them.  Nothing fancy.  I had them sitting in the car one day while I ran around town and with it being the middle of July, it was hot in the car and the heat caused all of the addresses and return addresses to disappear by the time I got to the post office!  I traced over the indents to rewrite the addresses, but I wasn't willing to open them all up to check my notes on the cards.  I heard that most of them were fine and could still be read or they could hold them at the right angle to read the indentations where the ink had disappeared!  The pictures are what had the announcement on them so it was fine.  Silly pens tried to get the best of me!

My brother's family that lives in Virginia, Chris and Tricia, had a fun time finding out.  We were about 5 months along and they were over visiting just because.  I was wearing a shirt that seemed as if I was trying to hide something and they were both trying to figure out if I was pregnant without actually asking.  We had pizza and smoothies for lunch and were getting ready to head out to a nearby park and Katelyn was taking off out the door without me.  I was talking to Chis and he asked, "What is in that belly?" as he poked it.  I was pretty smooth and instantly responded with, "Just that extra slice of pizza." and then I headed out the door to get Katelyn before she got into trouble.  Chris felt terrible and like a jerk of a brother for just calling his sister out on gaining a little weight!  We told them later on in the evening and he felt VERY relieved!

So everyone found out one way or another, but it was fun and hard to keep it a secret for so long!

No comments: