Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Summer Camping

We have been busy and having fun and I finally have a second to sit and write down all of our adventures over the last two months!  I have caught up with the laundry and I am taking a break from cleaning and unpacking to write everything down.

I am starting with camping.  This summer we went twice.  The first time was at the end of June with my brother Chris and his family and some friends of theirs.  David doesn't get excited about camping.  The work, effort, and planning that goes into camping doesn't make sense to him when we pay rent to live in a nice place that is better.  Now if I was willing to move our family out into the woods permanently, then he would be fine with that because it is so much cheaper than paying rent, but when we already have a nice place we are paying for he doesn't get very excited.  

So I try to make it as painless as possible and pack and plan everything  so we can just get in the car and go.  This first camping trip went well with not really any issues.  We enjoyed the company and the setting. We all worked together on meals and starting fires and the kids had fun running around together.  I like that men feel like the outdoors is their territory and they build the fires and put up the tents and they even do some of the cooking if we women let them!  I don't know why David would have any reason to dislike camping :)  

Katelyn loves anytime we let her play in the car and "drive" and sometimes we let her sit with us and actually drive short little errands that don't require us to get on real roads.  She loves to do big people things.

 These three had a good time!  Liam is a good cousin and friend and bridges the age gap and plays with both his older friend and younger cousin.  Marco didn't seem to get bored playing with the little kids either.
 Chris and Tricia brought a hotel tent that had three rooms so we shared that with them and we all had plenty of space.

 I love this cute girl!
And she loves her cute boy!

 We enjoyed the good company and snuggles with our kiddos.
 Chris had a helper that wanted to take over his fire making job...well only the parts he shouldn't help with :)  Marco is just a curious boy who was trying so hard to be patient while he waited to cook his hot dog.

 These kids always want to be such good helpers!

 We went on a hike and Katelyn was so slow so we carried her most of the way.  Tricia and Chris wouldn't let my pregnant body carry her the whole time so we passed her around and Liam wanted to be carried too we all got more than we wanted out of this short hike.

 Katelyn's cute little chubby toes are so good at collecting all sorts of treasures and she loves to pull off her shoes and look for "yuckies" and proclaim her toes clean when she finishes looking between each toe as she pries them apart.  This is a task she takes seriously!
 We needed some ice cream at the end of our "rough camping" and we discovered Bruster's that reminds us of Tillamook Ice cream with all their yummy flavors.
 Hugs all around to say goodbye as we finished with our yummy ice cream!
Then we camped with about 8 families from our ward this last weekend for Labor Day.  The place we were going took about 4 hours to get to from our place and with a stop for dinner it took about 5 hours.  We weren't too thrilled about this because it was raining almost the whole time we were driving and sometimes it was raining so hard we had to slow way down to even see the road and other cars around us safely.  This wasn't very encouraging and even I had a hard time being excited for our camping weekend.  We finally got to our campsite and we had friends help us get our tent up really fast in the dark and in the rain.  We decided to call it a night and hang out in our tent and hope that we  were going to wake up to clear skies.  It was very humid and wet and our little tent snugly fit the three of us with our queen air mattress...and I am about 5 weeks away from my due date.  So we play a few little games in our tent and chat to stay out of the down pour and hope that our tent really is waterproof.  We managed to get to sleep and hoped we somehow wouldn't have to try and roll over each other and go out in the rain to go potty!  Me and my pregnant self didn't get so lucky and it rained pretty much all night we think.

The next morning it was mostly not raining and just a few sprinkles here and there.  We went to church looking and feeling so wonderful after the great sleep, but the skies cleared up once we were out of church!  Oh the blessing of going to church!  And Katelyn was so adorable that someone gave her a brand new baby doll in the box and everything.  She loved it and it was a random simple thing and they said her daughter had too many dolls and Katelyn looked like a perfect mom for that doll.

We got back to camp and took a nap  and just enjoyed a peaceful Sunday in the woods.  We made shish-ka-bobs for dinner with chicken, tomato, onion, potato and peppers and  they were so good!  Such good flavor since I marinated them over night and then the smoky flavor from the camp fire added a special bonus.   
We enjoyed the night chatting with friends and making ice cream in bags and  making campfire cones (ice cream cones filled with nuts and chocolate and marshmallow and anything you want that might taste good all melted together when they get warmed up by the fire.)  We loved the evening!  The terrible start to our camping trip luckily was the worst of it. 
I love this picture of Katelyn because it shows her curly hair.  Her hair is pretty flat and straight on top, but she has some curl in the back  that is adorable.  The humidity and sweat gives it an extra amount of curl too!  She also loved having all these glow stick bracelets and necklaces, but I like the curls!
These tire swings were a little dangerous but all the kids love them.  Katelyn would swing forever if she could and David can't ever say no to anyone that wants to swing!
The kids gave him a few pushes too and let him have a turn.

We came up camping on Saturday and didn't get there until dark, so we missed out on the adventures that they all went on during the day.  We stopped by to see what we missed on our way home.  There was this waterfall that was a short hike in and really pretty, but once we got down to the stream it was really rocky and wet and me being pregnant and David carrying Katelyn didn't seem like an ideal place for us.  There was also a guy who had fallen and hit his head on the rocks and was bleeding and getting medical attention near the falls so we decided we were close enough and headed back out.  

 Here I am at 35 weeks!
 Our next pit stop was at the natural water slides.  These weren't as impressive as we thought they would be.  David tried it out and felt like he had to scoot a lot of the way.  Some sections of it were fun and would carry him, but others just didn't have enough water or maybe he had the wrong technique.

We walked around and at the bottom of the water slide were some areas of calm water so we thought we would go swim around in those to cool off.  It was nice and we just people watched as we enjoyed the water.

As we were heading out, David and Katelyn were walking out and it was so cute watching them walk hand in hand being careful on the rocks.  I had to go back and grab my shoes and slipped a fell on my side.  I fell on my hip, elbow, and shoulder and they have been super sore ever since.  It scared me and everyone around being so pregnant.  Everything is fine with me and the baby and other than the bruises on me, but he has been moving around like normal and I haven't had any contractions or bleeding.  Definitely scary though and I am glad I fell to the side and not forward.

I was frustrated with myself because I knew I needed to be careful and I had been the whole time and I made sure every step was well thought out, but that one moment where I turned around quick and was thinking about how I almost forgot my shoes was when I slipped.  I was so bummed and worried about our little guy.  He always moves like crazy when I start eating anything so we thought it would be perfect to get some ice cream from Bruster's.  It did the trick and our little baby was moving and tossing and turning taking in all three scoops of ice cream with me.  I got an almond coconut ice cream that was heavenly and cheered me right up!


These scoops are not small scoops by any means and so having three of them made for a ton of ice cream.  These pictures show both of our cones with about 5 minutes worth of licking already done.  They were melting faster than we could eat them and I could barely get David to look at the camera because he was trying to keep up with the drips.  We ended up getting out of the car so we didn't have to inhale the ice cream and then I was able to enjoy it and let the drips fall in the grass.  We were laughing at ourselves for thinking we needed three scoops and decided next time we are only getting two...maybe even one....or maybe three to share would be just right!  I couldn't eat mine very fast because I was laughing most of the time at David trying to keep up with his.  He was so determined to not let it drip away and he was going to town licking frantically to save the drips.
Katelyn enjoyed hers too and wasn't sure what was so funny.  I needed the ice cream and the laughs to get the baby moving and cheer me up and it worked great.  Now I just need to be more careful and be more cautious!  


This camping trip had a lot of ups and downs and we are done camping the year for sure.  The rain wasn't too fun and falling was scary, but most of all I was so glad to be back in my own bed when we got home.  I love having space to move my watermelon belly and not having to wake up and walk in the rain to go to the bathroom at night.  I don't miss trying to roll over and get comfortable on that air mattress...it is hard enough when you aren't pregnant!  I will enjoy my friends inside and we can all be a little be less stinky.  I love nature and it's beauty and smells and sounds, but I am too pregnant to enjoy it all like I am used to.  I won't make David go camping again until next summer.  For now we have plenty to get ready for for this little guy to make his arrival and my bed is way to nice to give up for an air mattress in a little tent anytime soon!



No comments: