Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Big Sister

Katelyn spent the night at her friend's house and then David went to go pick her up the next morning.  I was excited for her to see her baby brother.  We talked about him every day when I was pregnant and she would talk about him too, but I don't really know if she understood that there was a real baby in  my belly.  We wondered if she would like him mostly.

She came into my room and wasn't sure who I was holding.  When I said it was her baby brother, she looked confused.  She took a close look, and then I asked if she wanted to hold him.  She said no and just continued to watch him.  He was sleeping, so he wasn't doing anything, but she just watched him.  

We got out a new gift that she got...kind of a special present for the big sister just to make her feel important and give her something to do that was new and fun while I fed or held Davy.  She loves puzzles and these ones didn't disappoint. 

After about 30 minutes of watching her brother and playing with her new puzzles, she asked to hold him.  I was glad that she wanted to!  I helped her hold him and she inspected the little guy. 
 His face was first.  She said he was "cute an' seeping"
 She was fascinated in him and especially that he was wearing a diaper, just like her.
 Arms look good...
 Fingers look good...
 Mom's bed looks good....Dad's not so good!  Those wonderful pull out chairs and flat pillows are not so wonderful afterall.
 Katelyn and I often give eskimo kisses and rub our noses.  She gave Davy some...
 And she thought it was the funniest thing in the whole world. 
 Katelyn gives him lots of hugs and kisses of all sorts all the time. 

 I would say, she likes him!  The first impression went well and she warmed up to the idea of being a big sister and now takes the role very seriously.
 She still likes her puzzles though!  They are a close contender for her favorite toys. 


 David likes holding his little guy. There have been plenty of snuggles that turn into naps for these two.  Davy doesn't understand that only Mom has the milk and will search and search anyone until he finds it. 

 Katelyn has tried to feed her animals and babies and will burp them when they are through.  She has insisted on feeding her brother and so one time I let him get a good suction just on her belly and it kind of scared Katelyn with how weird it felt.  She asks here and there to feed him, but will back down pretty easy most of the time.  She loves to burp him though and is actually really good at it....the one time that we allow her to beat up on her little brother :)


 This picture makes me laugh...she likes to make sure that Davy is looking at the camera, so she helps him.  Her morning hair is pretty good too!

 When I do her hair in the mornings, her naps always do amazing things to her hair and it always makes me laugh when she comes out of her room.

 
She didn't like that some things are JUST for Davy...like the crib, his car seat, his clothes, and sometimes me.  She competes for my attention and needs me and only me when she gets tired.  She got really sad one time when David went to grab a blanket to put on Davy and one of Katelyn's was nearby so he used it.  Katelyn was not ready to share her blanket and was so sad about it.  She is now interested in pacifiers.  She didn't take them when she was a baby but she now likes to sometimes act like a baby and needs to be swaddled and held and needs a paci...silly girl.  She likes to show her brother big kid things like her toys and how to get dressed.  She likes to read to Davy and gets a little frustrated when he doesn't pay attention. 





Katelyn is a good big sister and asks to hold Davy multiple times a day.  She likes holding him until she hears him poop, then she tells me she is done and I need to change his diaper.  She doesn't like it when he is sad and will try to put his paci in or tell me to hold him.  She likes to do more and more on her own and is growing up faster, it seems, since Davy has been around.  She seems so heavy and her arms and legs dangle out all over the place.  We realized how big she was once Davy was here.  And to brag about our little girl...she is learning so much and is starting to really read now!  She has some of her sight words memorized and can read them in books.  We can ask her about 15 different words and she can find them somewhere in all of her books.  Now if we could only figure out which number is which!

We've had fun watching Katelyn transform into the big sister and it will be interesting to see how it all goes as they both grow up!

1 comment:

michael + kylie said...

Wow! Congratulations you guys,we couldn't be happier for you! I can't even imagine taking care of 2! I can barely keep alive 1!

Your kids are absolutely beautiful!