Thursday, June 20, 2013

Home #7

We are having a hard time settling in and calling a place home for too long before we pack up and move on to the next place!  We keep hopping around and it is a lot of work! We have been married for 5 years now and this is the 7th place we have lived!

We moved here back in April and it was a good one.  We are able to save more money since rent is much cheaper here, and we are enjoying the smaller feel of Harrisburg compared to the Baltimore and all of its beefiness!  Does anyone know that Harrisburg is the capital of Pennsylvania?  Honestly, most people (even you Mayrlanders just a state away) think it is either Philly or Pittsburgh...and for the longest time, David would say that he worked in Harrisburg, Philadelphia...that drove my Elementary Education Bachelor's Degree mind insane and it wasn't ok!  C'mon people, don't you remember your states and capitals?  ...Or even just the states??? :)

The moving day went as smooth as it could thanks to awesome member of our new and old wards.  I even told my brother that he didn't need to make the hour drive to help, since we were going to have plenty of help...Sorry for turning down your offer Chris!

I had wonderful help from my visiting teacher, Tyese, one day.  It was coming close to moving day and I was starting to feel overwhelmed and she came over with just an hour of her free time.  I thought of how little I was ever able to pack up in a hour and was a little bummed, but then she got right to work and packed my ENTIRE KITCHEN!  She was fast!  I didn't realize how much she could do and had to find some essentials so I could feed the missionaries that night. Tyese was awesome and I am still in awe of how she did it!

Then the missionaries came over and offered to help and came back the next day.  They were great help too and helped pack up the odds and ends and do the finishing touches with me before the big move the next day.

That Saturday, the 13th, the crew arrived ready to pack!

They loaded everything in the truck, didn't eat enough of the donuts we got them, and then they were off to move another family.
The sister missionaries (anyone know that brown haired one...she's from the Kennewick East Stake!) Jace Martinsen, Steven Davis, Adrian Stanger, and a guy that we barely know but was a beast in hauling boxes! Someone tell me his name, please?!


 David headed off to Harrisburg and got to the new place ready and hoping he would have help unload the truck!  I had mentioned to some people in our new ward that he would need help and the new ward responded letting us know that the ward had just been split and that they would try to find out who was in the ward that could come help, so were weren't really sure if we were going to have any help.  We were delighted to have a whole crew that unloaded the truck in half an hour!  I stayed behind and fed the kids and then drove up to the new place, and in the 30 minutes it took to feed the kids I had missed all the action!

We are so grateful to be here in Harrisburg!  The part about David not having to make the drive every Monday and Friday from Baltimore to Harrisburg and back has been so nice....I think our poor car was getting worn out from that drive too!  Being together as a family EVERY night instead of just on the weekends has been such a treat that I never thought to be grateful for!  David had one week of training that he had to head to Baltimore for the week leaving us here, and I was reminded of how terrible, tiring, and stressful it is to have him gone during the week...and we lived like that for nearly a year!

Brittany was this girl here in Harrisburg who was in a Relief Society presidency and she was told that I was going to be here off and on staying in hotels and that I might like to be added to the playgroup emails she sent out.  We emailed back and forth and then one day we met up at a park and got to know each other.  It was sort of odd to plan to meet someone at a park, but she was being very nice and friendly and I was bored and tired of taking Katelyn to the parks and libraries to play by herself.  I knew she was a member of the same church, but she didn't know that.  We met at the park and chatted while our kids played and it was great!  We were heading back to the hotel for lunch and she offered to let Katelyn keep playing and invited us over to her place for lunch and swimming.  We must have seemed normal enough!  I took her up on that offer and we hung out and chatted the day away!  I never got in contact with her since I didn't head out to Harrisburg with David most weeks and when I did, I wasn't sure if I would be a bother or not which I wish I would have called her up!

Britt's good-bye party...she's the tall blonde beauty next to me!


When we found out we were going to move here, I talked to Brittany and found out the ins and outs of the area she lived in because another friend said that it was the perfect place.  I called or emailed her every other day with all of my questions and then we ended up moving in across the street from them!  The day we moved in, I didn't have a jacket that I left out for the day and she ran home and let me use hers for the day!  She is one of those people that is always ready and willing to help and has really been so incredibly helpful!  We have loved our new place and I loved being so close to her.  We hung out nearly every day since we moved in and it was the first thing Katelyn would ask for in the day.  They just moved out...not because of us ;)...but because he finished his schooling and they are heading back west to settle in with a first job and a new home!  We are bummed that we couldn't be close neighbors for longer and we loved having each other so close by that now we have to go out and make new friends!  Brittany and I were so similar in way too many ways and  we realized that we both married similar guys too...funny and ironic.  We miss the Iwaasa's  and I am not too excited about having to stretch myself and go out of my comfort zone to get to know the neighbors around me when it was so easy and comfortable to be friends with her.  That's life though!

One random side note...it drives me crazy that I have very few pictures with me and my friends!  We hang out, watch each other's kids, take pictures of our kids playing together, but rarely take pictures of us being friends.  I am friends with them on facebook, so I can stay in contact with them, but I just want pictures of us adults together.  Silly and random, but it matters to me a little bit :)

Harrisburg is home for now and we feel settled and ready to conquer this place!  It sort of feels like living in Boise again, and we liked Boise so we are bound to love it here!

No comments: