Monday, June 3, 2013

What Holidays?

Is it May  June already?!  This year is going so fast.  We are loving being a little family of just the four of us but at the same time there aren't enough hours in the day or night to do everything we want...like blogging!

Some of the little holidays have slipped by without saying anything and we haven't made too many attempts to stop and acknowledge them so Katelyn barely even knows they were here!  

Valentine's Day we did pretty good.  The day before a bunch of ladies from my ward gathered to decorate cookies and brownies.  Kids played and moms chatted and attempted to make the cookies look somewhat decent with the fancy frosting tips we didn't know how to use.  My friend, Rebecca, organized a Valentine's party with all the kids that aren't school age.  We all brought a snack to share and the kids brought cards to share.  We decorated the mailboxes with our kids and then they played a few games.  There was a musical chairs type of game where all the kids were instructed to dance while the music played.  As I wrote in the last post, Katelyn broke down in tears because she was not in her dancing attire.  She was upset for the rest of the party and had a hard time being her silly self without her dress/tutu on.  Rough life.

I already wrote up about the date at home I planned for just the two of us and I am still drooling over that gooey caramel Butterfinger cake!  The orange chicken was so yummy too and I plan on making that one again.  It was a yummy night!  I also gave David a gift that keeps on giving....a coupon book.  So far he has redeemed the ones for a weeks worth of ironing (we both hate ironing clothes!), a foot rub, and we are planning a weekend trip to New York soon!  That little coupon book got packed away and hasn't resurfaced yet, so I am sure he will get back on that once we find it....breakfast in bed, back massage, weekend trips, weekends free from diaper changes, and a bunch of other ideas like that that might be hints to things I would love ;)

St. Patty's day was a Sunday and we wore green to church and that was all we had for the day.

Easter was spent with my brother and his family and that was nice.  We ate yummy five cheese pasta, rolls, and they were the best part of the meal so the rest doesn't really matter :)
...and then we played Ticket to Ride!  We like that game and David and I play a game nearly every night on the iPad before we fall asleep...we're addicted.
 I looked like the cleverest person around with these cupcakes thanks to Pinterest.  I hosted an Easter egg hunt during the week and I brought these for everyone.  (I might have blogged about that before...that's just how it goes, when you throw so much into one post!)

 A week or two after Easter, I finally got around to our Easter FHE and we made Resurrection Rolls...Marshmallows (Jesus) dipped in melted butter and cinnamon and sugar (oil and spices) wrapped with a crescent roll and then the miracle of the Resurrection happens when you cook them!  They were yummy and helped to teach the lesson of Easter so we were all happy!









April brought David's birthday!  We were on the eve of our move and we headed out on a fun date.  I tried to get all the packing done so that we wouldn't have to spend this kid free time doing last minute packing and it worked!  We dropped off the kids, picked up our rental truck and dropped it off at home, and went off to eat and play!   We went out and tried out our sharp shooting skills at laser tag.  We were at least 10 years older than everyone there and were nervous that all the youngins were going to haunt us and make it no fun.  We were able to do just fine and we had fun with it.  We got a pizza for dinner and realized Pizza Hut really isn't our favorite!



I tried my best to duplicate our wedding cake that David still drools over...again.  The frosting was better and awesome, but the cake was too dense and not the moist/crumbly cookies 'n cream cake that he remembers.  I might throw in the towel on this cake and just admit I can't do it, or I might search her out and beg her for the recipe and specific instructions.  David will never forget and stop day dreaming of that cake that seems to be nearly the best thing about our wedding day, so I might have to find the cake lady! 


May came around and I kept telling David that our anniversary was coming up to warn him.  We took advantage of a couple days off and headed to New York City to cram all we could see and do in two days that we could.  We loved it and can't wait to go back without kids someday so we can go watch some shows and play some more at night in the city.  We did this trip on Memorial Day weekend (Thursday-Saturday) and then when our anniversary came around on the 31st, I was expecting him to do something out of the ordinary, and David thought New York was as lovely as an anniversary celebration could get. I wanted something like a love letter or card or something that required some planning ahead that let me know he was excited for this big anniversary...hooray for 5 years!  (but not flowers, I told him no on the flowers)  He did bring home dinner and ice cream, but didn't tell me so Katelyn and I had already had dinner and just thought he was taking to long and I was trying to get the house ready for my brother and his family coming to stay and play for the weekend.  David and I are just so romantic!






We might need to work on communicating our expectations and plans with each other or maybe we should lower our expectations?!  We have been pretty low key and sort of lame this year, but it really doesn't matter too much.  I don't think that skipping over St. Patty's day will hurt any of us!

We all still like each other and there's plenty of love to go around this family.  I am not sure how I want to do holidays and what traditions I want to be a part of our family or not.  So sometimes out of laziness, or other times I just don't see the point not much happens.  We will see and each year will probably be different and change as these kids get older.  

No comments: