Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Oh Julia!



This year I have worked really hard not to forget one thing. . . because she would let me know if I did!  It is Julia's birthday tomorrow, but it is already tomorrow there, so I didn't want to miss the real thing for her!
A little bit about this girl, Julia. . .
 . . . We met in August 2005 as she flew to America to experience life with good 'ol Americans as part of a foreign exchange program.
. . . Julia was dunked into our silly home and I took her everywhere with me.
 . . . When I introduced her to friends and family, everyone always wondered where she was from and who she was.  She would try so hard to sound like a fluent American as she would reply, "My name is Chulia and I am from Chermany."  After some confused looks I would 'save the day' and ease the awkwardness and clarify, "Her name is Julia and she has come all the way from Germany to be with us for the school year."  For some reason, this was understood :)
 . . . We had all sorts of adventures together while she was living with my family!  My dad was one adventure, Nana was another, my mom worried about being a good host, and I showed her the American way of life.
. . . She gained about 20 pounds or so while she was with us.  We didn't quite feed her veggies each night like she was used to and our desserts pay no attention to the sugar and whip cream :)
 . . . She spoke amazing English but wanted to get rid of her "British English" accent and also have perfect grammar.  So I felt that I had the freedom to tease her about the cute ways she said things.  My favorite was when she had a hole in her sock and was worried about it as she said, "My sock is having a hole!"  Germans don't cross their fingers for good luck, they "press their thumbs for you" as Julia would say to wish me luck.  I loved the little phrases she would say!
 . . . American high schools were so new to her (Language classes where we don't really learn the language, cheerleaders, homecoming and prom dances, football teams, graduation caps and gowns, and school sports  . . . these were things that she had only seen in the movies as they didn't exist in her schools!)
. . . We went on a senior trip where my dad and Uncle Tom drove us to Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and the Redwood forest!  I think she took a couple thousand pictures!  She probably had the most pictures of the Hollywood sign that we only saw from the highway, as she had my dad turn around about 6 times so she could get a good shot :)
. . . I have kept her awake so many times just chatting away about anything and everything. . . she was a good sport!
Julia became such a close friend for me and for my family!  We were so lucky to have picked out the best exchange student!  She came back to visit our family a little over a year ago and we were able to laugh and joke and stay up all night chatting just like we used to!  We were able to go to the Oregon coast to celebrate the 4th of July and David and I took her to see Yellowstone.  She loved seeing the many sights of America and was able to see Washington D.C. and New York City too.

I was able to go visit her and her family for a few weeks.  This was about three years ago.  She showed me all sorts of German attractions and I loved spending time with their family.  They took me all over the place, and I loved all the places we went!  They were very respectful anytime we were sleeping.  They would postpone any chores at home that might possibly wake someone up. One time Peter, her dad, waited until noon before Julia and I woke up so he could make some repairs on the complete opposite side of the house! I can say that Julia didn't get that kind of special treatment at my house . . . sorry!
This is us in Germany when we visited the Neuschwanstein Castle.
Peter took us to Rothenburg to see the town!


We all visited the Schwartzwald (Black Forest) and visited a glass blowing place there.
This is what Julia usually wars when I'm not around. . . no this is the traditional clothing of people from the Black Forest area. :)

As we would ride the train all over Germany, one time there was a friendly bachelor party that joined us and I got to be the center of their attention since I was the American.  I don't know if I ever told Mom and Dad about the woozy friends that serenaded us and were excited for us to be such a part of their party!  Luckily it only lasted for the end of the train ride!

This is Julia's village where she lives.  There are tons of lush green fields that surround all the villages there. . . I thought it was beautiful!  Julia was so used to all the green of Germany, that she was thrilled and fascinated with the weeds and sagebrush that she saw in Kennewick.
We went camping for a couple days in Idaho.

Julia liked that we brought some floaties for her so she wouldn't have to ruin her beautiful hair!  Cute!
Playing a fun game at a family reunion in Oregon.
Here we are enjoying some of the scenery in Yellowstone:)

I am able to talk with her on Skype now and she is still as studious and funny as ever!  I am hoping to take David out to Germany someday and show him around the place.  It looks like the baby might be joining us for that trip!

It has been so fun to know Julia and to have fun with her.  I know she enjoys my teasing.  She is one of the most studious and smartest people I know.  She is so self-motivated and holds herself to a high standard!  My teasing only motivates her :)

Happy Birthday Julia!  I hope you enjoy your vacation even though you will probably study the whole time!!  You are getting so old now :)  I love all of our fun memories!

No comments: