Wednesday, June 23, 2010

If this is what miserable is, I'll take it!

Summer really is here! It is so nice! The sun stays out forever and helps us wake up in the morning. People kept on saying that summer would be miserable because I would be so hot all the time and wouldn't ever feel comfortable. As far as I am concerned, no big deal! Our apartments include utilities, so I can crank on the AC any time I need, and there is a very nice pool about 20 yards from my front door! I love being at the pool and I check the weather daily to see if it is going to be a pool day or not. I have a cute little pool bag with sunscreen, sunglasses, easy-read book, towel, and a Popsicle in hand (pineapple and coconut are most favorite) and I am off on my way. Maybe I am miserable and I just don't know it but I can't complain. . . I'm feeling way too good!
People also have been telling me that I will need the whole summer to get ready for the baby, but I am not quite sure what all I am to be getting ready for. I think as long as we have clothes, diapers, carseat, stroller, a place for the baby to sleep and a rocking chair for the early morning duties, we will be as prepared as we can be. I know there are some little items (shampoo, bibs, comb, etc) but what else is there to do to be ready?  Should I practice sleeping for two hours at a time?  Should I practice putting diapers on everything in the apartment as if they were our baby?  I have heard breastfeeding is a challenge, but I am definitely not going to be practicing that before the baby comes! I could go on pretend walks with the stroller and practice buckling things into the car seat?  I think David would think I was absolutely crazy if he came home and every water bottle, can of soup, milk jug, iron, shoe box, pillow, shampoo bottle, cd case, etc. diapered, swaddled, or strapped in for a ride.  I think we will just go off of prior experience with nieces and nephews and see how we do when our little girl arrives.  Anything we need help with, I will just ask my mom who will be here to help when we get out of the hospital. She has raised all 10 of us kids, quite the resume there,  I think she will be a very nice resource.
We did take a birth and delivery class a couple weekends ago, which was very fun actually. The teacher was a very fun nurse and she made it clear what all the possible options we had for having this baby and the ins and outs of each option. She made sure to ask the husbands the questions that we might not of know so that they were the ones that felt clueless instead of us pregnant women in our emotional/hormonal state.  David saw enough slimy babies that he's not too grossed out by that part of it anymore :) As part of the pain management that the class covered, David got to practice his foot, hand, and back massages which was wonderful, I must say! I have convinced him to "practice" some of those since we have been home, and he is always willing! Such a great husband!


David even gave the "Empathy Belly" a try and had a hard time tying his shoes and reaching anything near the floor.  It was cute to see what I probably look like.  He hasn't mastered the split-the legs-squat technique yet and tried more for the side tilt/bend.
   It was weird to see him with a belly like that . . . the chest was a little stranger, but  it makes it more real right?!  So he got to wear this nice little contraption for a while and it pushed on his bladder and lungs real nice.  He didn't know he needed to go potty until he had it put on!  It sounded like it did a good job!  And I think I am safe to say that his belly is bigger than mine. . . hooray!
We have our crib and bedding, stroller and some cute little girl clothes.  We are looking at car seats hoping to get a neutral boy/girl colored one for future use.  The doctor could feel her head at the appointment and she is head down.  She has been head down at each of our ultrasounds so I wasn't surprised.  I was surprised that he could feel the head so well.  He was able to put his thumb and pointer on both sides of her head!  So tiny! We heard her heartbeat too and it sounded good.  Everything is measuring good too.  He measured and he said 34!  I was shocked as usually the belly measures about the same as the number of weeks along you are and I am not even 32 weeks!  I have been right on for all of my previous measurements.  He went to record it and thought for a second and decided to remeasure.  I measured that time at 32 and I felt a little better.  I think it was one of those things where the measurements don't start at the start of the tape and he wasn't paying full attention.  We laughed it off and I am glad that I am measuring right on still as I hardly gained any weight in the last month.  The belly button hasn't popped out yet but I feel like it is close.  Just lots of kicks and punches and poking my ribs which is weird feeling.  I think she has had hiccups too which is interesting to feel her whole body bounce around a little.  So far so good!  We are getting more and more excited thinking about being parents soon!

No comments: