Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Insurance Stinks

Insurance is kind of a love-hate thing. Whether it is car, health, or life insurance -or any other kind of insurance- it is something you need, but you would rather not have to pay to be safe. Lately I have had some mixed feelings about this and especially our life insurance. With the new baby on the way in less than two months -hopefully not longer- we have been digging into this whole life insurance thing. David wants to make sure that if anything were to happen to one of us, then we would be covered and not thrown into the whole single-working parent life right away. This all sounds good and reasonable and we both feel it is important to cover our bases just in case.
The tough part comes when I really think about it and yes, I will be covered financially, but what about the rest of the departments. I still need David. Some of the plans are 10, 20, 30 year plans. . . well I want David around a lot longer than that! Neither of us want to go then!
This Father's Day was kind of bitter sweet as I had this on my mind. I am so glad that David and I both have amazing dads that are still around today and they are still active and pursuing their roles as dads and soon to be grandfathers to our little girl. We have no idea what some people go through growing up without a dad (or a mom) for some reason or another.
In one of the talks given on Sunday, it was mentioned that "men should aspire to be the husband that the wife and kids can't live without." David's already got me hooked and I am sure that our kids will feel the same way shortly. I expect to celebrate lots and lots more Father's Days, birthdays, anniversaries, and all sorts of holidays with that cute husband of mine! He is definitely someone worth celebrating, and I lucked out getting to be with him!
I am glad that we have insurance and that we are covered if we were in a car accident, or if we did need to get surgery or any medical care, and that we will be covered financially if one of us dies, but I sure do pray that it is a "waste" of our money.

2 comments:

TracieCarter said...

Been thinkin' about you lots lately!!! I'm just so excited I can barely stand it! My neighbor and another friend had babies 6 wks ago and so I've been getting my baby fixes at their houses lately. Oh that newborn smell is so intoxicating! Glad to hear you guys are covering your bases - you're more on the ball than we were at that stage! I too hope it's a waste of money and I hope you've got good info on it - like to only buy term.

Crissa Rae said...

I love reading your blog! It makes me smile. I'm so excited to hopefully see you this coming week! :) Hearing about your little girl moving around in your belly kinda makes me miss being pregnant a little... I was like you, and wasn't too miserable through the summer (and your due date is close to when mine was for Kiely). As far as the life insurance thing, we've been talking about it, but haven't really done it yet... Dave Ramsey recommends Zander.com, though. We've looked, and it looks pretty good! :) Good luck... don't worry, you and David will stick around for a long time... Although I have to say, I get nervous sometimes that something will happen to James... (He's driving 55 miles each way right now... that'll change in a few weeks, though!) This is getting REALLY long now... Hope I get to see you next week! SO EXCITED! :)