Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Good game, Good game.

Our basketball team, the Magic, is doing awesome.  We have 2 awesome little dribblers, and 2 awesome shooters, and the rest of them really like running around.

We are the black team.  Here's a look at our play :)  I taught them all they know. . . and the season has just begun!
Our first two practices before the game were very interesting.  I was thinking. . . we need to find out what skills they are each good at so we will do drills for each skill (dribbling, passing, shooting, defense, etc.) and then we need to put together a simple play so they have a rough idea of where they can go to get open instead of everyone swarming around the ball.  

By the time the first practice was over, we were trying to figure out everyone's names, and we had no clue who could do what.  As far as a play, I was thinking a pass-screen-dribble-shoot idea would work. . . simple Not so much.  The boys couldn't figure out where to start.  What's a point guard?  What's a lay up again?  Is his name Gabin or Gavin?  I'm really good at 3 point shots, watch!  Look! I can spin the ball in my hand!  Who farted?  Can we get some water?  I have to go to the bathroom?  Can we just shoot instead?  I have a fun game, can we play it?

After the first practice, I went and bought a whistle :)  

At the next practice, we practiced freezing when the whistle was blown.  We went way back to the basics.  This is how you hold a basketball.  Now you do it.  This is how you dribble.  Now you do it.  This is how you pass.  Now you do it.  This is how you play defense.  Now you do it.  

And our play?  Down the drain the first week.  Not a big deal.  Just pass, dribble, get open and shoot.  We figured out something to work on for the next week, and there were no screens involved.

We worked on the basics, and that is all we do still.  They are getting there.  We are having a blast and the parents. . and grandparents. . and so glad we volunteered to do this so they wouldn't have to.  

Our cheer is just the basic.  We tried one that I did when I was little that goes like this:

Razz tazz tootie frootie
Let's go out and kick some booty!
Goooo Magic!

They all giggled and said it is a girly cheer.  They did it once for me and made promise they would never have to do that cheer again :)

If their cheeks are rosy at the end of each game and each practice and they have a giant smile on their face, we call it a success!  No score is kept at the games, but I am pretty sure we are winners!

No comments: