Thursday, February 12, 2009

What to do???

Finding a job wasn't really happening and volunteers weren't needed yet.  I have never in my life had this much time each day completely to myself and I was stumped.  When I started to get really bored and thought there was absolutely nothing to do David and I started thinking of possible and productive things I could do throughout the day. 

#1. David had the first ideas. . . He had me doing some of his homework for an online class and he wanted me to do our taxes by hand ad the business ones too. The homework was boring just because it was homework, and we didn't have all of our tax forms mailed to us yet and I didn't understand the business tax forms and where I was supposed to put all the numbers. . . .So those didn't work out.  I really felt like I needed to get out of the apartment.

#2. I went to the grocery store any time we were out of anything. I thought I was probably using a lot more gas than necessary, so I started making more grocery lists and fewer trips to the store.

#3. Then I thought it would be good to start exercising and go for a run through the neighborhood behind us. It started out great! It was all down hill and it wasn't too cold and everything was so new and interesting to look at as I went down the windy road. I had driven this route to make sure that I would know where to go and how far I was going to run. So when I got to my half way point I felt great. I blazed down that windy road and was hardly even tired! I almost kept running down further, but I really didn't want to get lost, so I turned around and started going back towards home. I was doing fine for the first five minutes or so going up the hill and around all windy turns. I felt like I made it down in five minutes so I would probably be back up and home in ten or so. . . ya right!

I tried to lean and peek around each corner to see if I was close to home, but it was so disappointing. There were hundreds of more turns on the way up than there were on the way down. . . I promise! By this point, I think that my run turned into more of a trudge. I knew I would get home sometime. . . and as long as I made it before David did in a couple hours, I would be okay. I just kept going though. It felt like a hallelujah moment when I saw finally came to the dead end right before my place.  I have never been so glad to be back at my place since we have been here...I didn't care how bored I was.  I knew that I needed to find a new (and flatter) route to run.

#4. So the whole running around the block thing wasn't quite my thing here either. I even got to the point where I went and got my very own library card and four books. Now I have never been a reader by any means. In school I just read what I have to read and I hardly was able to keep up with that, so I have never done it on my own either. I was just never that interested. Maybe it was the whole textbook thing, or that it was something that I had to read. I don't know but I have been ashamed to say I want to be a teacher and that I don't like to read, so I thought I would give it a chance.

I didn't even know where to start looking for a book. I browsed around and saw lots of dragons and knights books that weren't quite my type. (The funny thing is that those were the books that David liked to read before he found his love for reading business strategy tips books!) I thought maybe a good biography or something historical, but I wanted to get something that was fun and eventful and I wasn't seeing anyone's life story that caught me. I randomly found four books that looked worth giving a shot. I checked them out and later that day I started into one of them. I tried to get into it for a few days, but it wasn't happening. The other books were just as bad. I fell asleep almost every time I read them. . . and sometimes I read during the day when I wasn't even tired. So those were a no-go. So I took those ones back and thought I would try again.  One of the librarians suggested that I read one that was from the same author that wrote Princess Diaries. I liked that movie and thought it was a cute and fun one so I gave it a shot. It was such a fun book although it was cheesy. . . I may have lost some brains reading that one, so I hope that I like other kinds of books too. But I finished it! It only put me to sleep once! I was pretty proud of myself. . . and glad the librarian suggested it. So now I am off to find another book that keeps me reading to the end without dozing off. My friend, Sarah, recommended one so I think I will give it a shot.  Feel free to suggest some good books that you liked and I will give them a try.  I am up for anything at the moment because I don't really know what I like yet.

So I tinker around and read here and there and keep on going.  I am starting to enjoy having lots of time to do whatever because I know that once I go back to Rexburg that I will be in school full time until I graduate next April and I probably won’t get very much of this kind of time to relax and enjoy the little things I can do.  

No comments: