Thursday, January 6, 2011

Our Little Christmas

I wasn't sure what to think of our Christmas this year. With David's new job, he doesn't get paid time off until he's been there for a while, so we had a 3 day weekend of no work.  Those 3 days definitely didn't feel anywhere near the 2-3 weeks I have had all my life until this Christmas.

This was the first time I had ever been away from my parents for Christmas or New Years.  I guess it just isn't fair being a grown up. . . . hmmm.  I felt like we were tainting it with our move, and not having as much time off, and then not being with the rest of my family so I felt I was getting jipped a little or something.  I wasn't as excited for this Christmas as I usually am, but it turned out very well.

We talked about traditions that our families have done and we talked about others we have heard of that we might like to do.  We had so many that we weren't sure which ones to pick.

Our Christmas Eve was very peaceful and we were able to enjoy each other.  We tried very hard not to do any packing or moving stuff.  I made a pumpkin pie for after Christmas dinner and got the sticky buns ready for the next morning.  We played games and read new books with Katelyn.

Christmas morning we slept in  until we just had to get up.  We showered and got ready for the wonderful day.  The sticky buns were as caramel-y as they could be and were delicious.  We opened gifts one at a time with each other.  It is so exciting to sit and wait and watch them open the gifts that we got for each other to see what they think. We loved it all and Katelyn loved the wrapping paper.  She loved to crinkle it and look at all the colors.

We got on skype and had a massive group video call with almost all my family.  We had 2of us from Idaho, 1 Washington, 1 Oregon, 1 Utah, 1 Virginia, 1 Germany, and a very special elder on from Brazil.  It was very chaotic and fun all at the same time.  I am not sure how many conversations we had, but by the time Matt got on, Mom was threatening to mute us and kick us out if we didn't behave :)  I loved hearing from everybody.  Matt sounded wonderful and it was very cute to see and hear him struggle with his English as he is speaking Portuguese so much now that English is tougher.  We let Mom and Dad and those that were home go off and have their own conversation and the rest of us stayed on and chatted for a couple more hours.  Too fun!  We are trying to put together a monthly or so time where we can all chat together since we loved it so much!

I cooked my very own Christmas dinner.  I successfully cooked the turkey, the mashed potatoes were so creamy, the stuffing was delicious, the gravy surprisingly turned out great, and the rolls were amazing too.  Everything hit the spot and wasn't as tricky as I expected.  I expected a disaster and I was ready to order pizza if anything went too bad, but the little Betty Crocker in me pulled it off. . . . and it was all still warm when we ate it.  Heavenly!

 Katelyn enjoyed a Christmas nap in her Christmas pjs.  She woke up and didn't think it was very funny I was taking pictures of her when she is revealing so much.  She didn't seem to mind mooning everyone on skype, so I thought she'd be ok. . . I guess not :)
This Christmas wasn't so bad after all.  We are still one happy family and it doesn't get much better than that.

1 comment:

Crissa Rae said...

So cute! I love Katelyn's little gut! It is so big and round and pudgy and CUTE! Mmmm! Where are you guys living now? You told me once, but I don't remember. I hope everything's going well! We miss hanging out with you guys! We really need to have you over next time you visit this part of the state! :)