Friday, March 18, 2011

Around here lately. . .

We aren't doing anything too wild and crazy around here.  We are just kind of going with the flow it seems.  Here's an update:

David:
~Lots of work and auditing trips.  He isn't doing taxes, but most of the people at work do taxes there so he is working more hours.. . . it doesn't really make sense to me, but he says he has stuff to do, he gets paid, and so I guess it works out.  Not so fun for him, but the extra bits in the pay checks are welcome anytime.
~Putting together bed frame for storage. . . for a second time.  When I started to get too much food storage and non food items from my coupon shopping to fit into our cupboards, David built a bed frame that was tall enough to slide boxes under it so we could store everything under there.   It isn't fancy by any means.  It is really heavy.  When we moved it was best to unscrew all the pieces and move it all separately.  When he was putting it back together after the move, he thought of a sturdy way to put it together.  That way wasn't very sturdy.  David likes to "plop" into bed.  I climb into bed.  But David's plopping jostled the bed too much and we were afraid all of our soaps and food would all get squished.  I never liked getting into bed first, especially trying to fall asleep before David came to bed because I was scared of the night where the bed just couldn't take it.  It got to the point where the frame would sway a little bit and make scary creaky noises when I would roll over.  So David fixed it and he can plop his little heart out every time he gets into bed.  He is very proud of his bed frame he built.  It has a lot of "character" :)
~David's birthday is coming up and all he wants is cake and ice cream. . . nothing else.  No presents.  Well he did ask for cookies for his birthday dinner, but he's not getting that.  I should make veggie cookies or something healthy that looks like a cookie.  Maybe he won't try to sneak into the stash of German chocolate and treats.  I'll show him!  I am going to have to be creative and think of something for a good gift and birthday dinner/date.
~CPA exam. . . he is planning on taking the big tests this summer.  His review material is ordered and on its way.  He's excited, but very nervous.
~Online classes. . . he is retaking a couple classes he took a long time ago and didn't do so well in.  He wants to get his GPA up so it looks better on resumes.  He is also thinking about doing an online MBA program starting this fall.
~His job is fine for now, but definitely not his dream job.  The work is fine.  The co-workers are too old.  He has to travel too much.  He has to work on Sunday every once in a while.  They are very set in their ways and don't want to change, grow, be more efficient, or any of that stuff which is very frustrating and boring to him.
~Not playing table tennis.  He hasn't played much since Katelyn was born.  He still loves it, but this little baby is just too precious to leave and he feels like he is already missing out on so much while he's at work that he likes to be home as much as he can.

Lorry:
~Finished off the basketball season with a pizza party.
~Volunteering at the school and enjoying not working there full time.  I do miss the kids, but I do not miss the stress that comes with that job. . . or the crazy parents. . . or the stress that some teachers have about the new bills/laws/reforms or whatever they are called that are cutting into the teachers.  I do keep picking up all the sick bugs from there I think :(
~Visit to Washington. . . usually when David goes out on his business trips, I will head out to my parents.  They love seeing Katelyn so often.  Each time we go Katelyn has more and more personality and spunk to her.  And maybe some attitude too.  My parents like that David has these trips since they get to see the baby, but we all wish he could be there to play too.
~Mom guided me through making a baby dress.  I wasn't able to finish, but it was actually looking like a dress, so I was proud of my sewing job.  The last time I sewed anything was when I was 9 and I made scrunchies out of rubber bands and scraps of fabric.  Mom had to start from the beginning basics with me.  I'm sure she could have easily made it herself, but she was patient with me and let me try it out.
~Dad and I went to the temple.  It had been a while since I had been especially since I had been to that temple and it was so refreshing.
~Dad and I climbed Badger.  It's a good climb that gets you huffing and puffing. . . especially hauling around the baby!



~One of my best friends got married!  Too cute!  Too beautiful!!  I am such a cry baby for happy things. . . Thanks Dad :)



~Coupon Shopping. . . once a week I will sort through my newspapers and file away my coupons and put together a shopping list of the best deals at one or two stores and then go for it.  It takes a lot of planning, but coming home and playing the guessing game, "How much did all this cost?" is always fun.  It is so great to be able to stock up on things we use every day for so little.  David likes it too except I have a hard time buying anything at full price when we need them.  For example, we ran out of face wash and I would almost rather not get anymore because I know that if I wait for a good sale I can get it for free if not really cheap.
~New recipes. . . I am tired of the same meals that we keep rotating through and have been trying out some new recipes.  David has been a trooper.  He now knows that if I like it, then he will say it is good even if it isn't good to him.  If I mention anything that I don't like about it, then he knows he's safe to share what he doesn't like about it.  David likes plain and simple.  I have been trying to get him to branch out a little and for some reason I think he is crazy when he doesn't like something that I love.  I always know when he likes something because he will ask or request to have it for lunch or leftovers the next day.
~My sister coming home from work with a free yummy ice cream cake for being such a good worker!

~Doctor's visits. . . there have just been too many between Katelyn being sick and her regular appointments.
~Teaching primary. . . I have the best girls.  I teach the 9-11 year old girls and they are great.  They are so sweet and it is so neat to see how much they know about this church and that I get to fill in the gaps and help them understand more.  They like learning about the gospel.  I am so glad there aren't boys in this class :)
~I am wanting my long hair back.  It is taking way to long to grow again.  Luckily I am not shedding anymore, but there are more little baby hairs coming back in that I've noticed.  This is a post pregnancy thing that I am very glad to be done with.  I was worried I was going to go bald for a bit there.

Katelyn:
~Trying to crawl. . . I think she is almost there, but this could be like having a baby due date. . . it could happen in a week or in a month.  She's up on her hands and knees, sometimes on her hands and feet when she's really showing off :)  It's like she's doing girly push ups and then the occasional manly push-up.  Funny girl!


~She's getting more and more ticklish, but only when she's in the mood, otherwise she just looks annoyed and gives me this look like, "Nice try, Mom."
~Get's excited and bounces on her bum when I blow my nose.  She's weird.  That is not exciting.
~Does not like when I wipe her nose.  She is a pro at turning her head away the second you are ready with the tissue making me chase her little nose back and forth.
~No teeth yet thankfully. . . she likes to suck on my collar bones and my chin when we are playing and tickling.  She actually gave me a hicky on my chin last week.  She got me good, but I am just glad there aren't teeth to chomp down on me!
~She LOVES peek-a-boo.  She leans from side to side with eye brows up to catch where you went and looks so pleased and happy when she finds you.
~She's been a wonderful traveler and does a million billion times better in the car then the first 2 months when she would scream until she was sweating.  Now she sweetly plays with her stuffed animals and chats and sings away until she falls asleep.
~Learning to play the piano.  She really likes to repeatedly whack at things, and this made noise so it was extra special.


~Her 6 month shots were not fun.  She can wiggle too much so they literally held her down.  She did not approve of this.  And then they poked her chubby little legs. OUCH!!
~She is determined to get things. . . especially things that she shouldn't ever play with like cords, poky things, plastic bags, messy food, and such.  She is not as easily distracted.  She will look at the new toy for a second  and then continue squirming and doing all she can to get what she sees.
~Watching her uncle do homework.

~She has a nasty cough. . . .her dad and Grandma both had it so she was bound to get it.  It isn't anything serious, just annoying for her.  Tis the season!
~She DOES NOT like to be left alone.  She is getting more and more attached to me, but if I leave out of sight and there isn't anyone else around, she is  not happy.  She lets out a full scream to let me know I have gone too far.
~She is a pro at scarfing down baby food.  Those green beans, peas, squash, broccoli, carrots, bananas, pears. . . so creamy. . . .mmmm.  Doesn't that sound so yummy?  She thinks they truly are lip smackin' good!  I'm not brave enough to try them but I have caught myself a couple times about to eat a spoonful of baby food because sometimes I feed her while I am eating and give her a bite of her food then take a bite of mine.  Almost got our spoons mixed up. . . that would have been a dirty little surprise!
~Loves to stare and then try to eat everything . . . including other babies.  This is new.  She used to just stare, but now she knows she can kind of move places so she goes for them and likes to feel how squishy they are.

 So that is life for us!  We are staying busy, but not too busy!  

2 comments:

Crissa Rae said...

Oh my goodness, Lorry, you make me smile and laugh every time I read your blog! I bet Katelyn is getting more & more fun every day! I love it! Did you cut her hair, or did it just grow in nice and practically perfect in the back?! (Kiely had some lovely pieces that must have not rubbed off when she was at the stage where they make themselves bald, and they were a few inches longer than the rest of her hair... haha. She is ADORABLE in the little jean diapers! :)

Someday SOON I will make a dress for Kiely. Maybe Easter? I also would like to make one for me!

Is your primary class wild at all? We got called to teach the 8-9 year olds, and we almost DREAD it every week. There are a few of them that we have (1-2 in particular out of 6) that are so disrespectful and little stinkers! We've been trying since we got called to figure out how to handle them and get the to be better, and we're thinking it's almost hopeless, because we see that they just don't get disciplined and taught at home. UGH! Rather than feeling spiritually fed after church, sometimes we feel like we go home frustrated with more stress... Any suggestions?

Sorry this turned into a novel! We miss you guys! Maybe we'll have to take a trip that way this summer sometime or something!! Sounds like things are going good for you!

Lorry and David said...

We would love for you guys to come! We want to do a fun day at the big water park here that I am dying to go to this summer now that I'm not pregnant. You guys should join us unless you are pregnant, then water slides are not such a good idea, but we would still love to have you and find something else to entertain you!

I did buzz her hair in back a couple of months ago and it seems to be growing evenly for the most part now.

I don't know if your class is just girls, but mine is which makes it so much easier. The girls are almost always really sweet. I honestly haven't had any issues and I feel so lucky, because I know that girls can get nasty at any age. So I love being able to teach them.

Suggestions? That's tough. I would try to reinforce good examples and answers. So if you have a scenario or a question, call on someone who you are pretty sure will give a good answer. Then compliment them on how their comment was helpful or a good idea. Then call on someone who is tougher and hopefully the good answer before will help them get in the right mindset.

Sometimes it works to ignore off topic comments and just try to focus all your attention on the good. If it is too bad, then it might help to talk to the parents. A lot of times the parents don't know how their kids act in primary because no one ever tells them and the kids usually don't either. Maybe ask the parents for suggestions on how you can help their child enjoy class more. I hope the parents will want to help you out!

I find that they get distracted easily if I try to go too quick. Sometimes they are looking up a scripture and they take awhile to find it. If I give up on waiting for them and move on, then they usually feel like they don't need to follow along or listen to the lesson anymore. So being patient and having them all look up scriptures keeps them focused. Sometimes I help them find it or tell them which page it is on.

These are some things that might work. I don't know if any of them will though. I hope it gets better for you and it gets more enjoyable! If nothing else works, you can always bring treats for good answers or good behavior :)

I hope you enjoyed my novel! I liked reading yours!