Monday, March 21, 2011

'Tis the Season

David had a quick audit trip he went on last week.  He wasn't gone too long, but what made it bad was that we were all sick.  He was only gone for three days.  We all somehow managed to get to the peak of the congested stuffy heads right in the middle of it too.  So we couldn't even complain about it to each other, well Katelyn complained to me, but she wasn't very good at sympathizing with my complaints.  We were all pretty miserable and wished we were all together at least at nights.

David didn't like blowing his nose in front of his boss all day, but couldn't really take "nose blowing breaks" especially when he was riding in the car with her, working side-by-side with her all day, eating out with her for every meal, and did I mention the 4 hour car ride home?  I'm absolutely sure she was ready for some peace and quiet away from the nose-blowing David.

Does anyone know how you have to eat with a stuffy nose?  You can hold your breath with each bite until you swallow or you have to keep you mouth open so you can breathe.  Nobody holds their breath, so I just hope that David never had to sit directly in front of his boss because that would easily make me lose my appetite.

So when David got home I thought it would be nice to eat a nice home-y meal.  I have never liked chicken noodle soup unless it is homemade which I wasn't up for making.  I thought a homemade chicken pot pie would hit the spot.  Doesn't that sound like a nice "Welcome home sick dad" dinner?  I even "artfully crafted" a little house with a picket fence and walkway out of extra crust on top :)



Well David got home and we said our hellos and exchanged hugs and kisses all around.  He couldn't smell the dinner in the oven, none of us could but I am sure it was lovely!  I told him that dinner was just about ready and it was in just finishing up in the oven.  He wasn't too thrilled.  He was tired of food and eating out. . . and probably eating and trying to breathe while he ate.  He wanted cereal.  Simple.  Plain.  Boring.

I couldn't believe it.  I was sure this would be the perfect meal to come home to and he wanted cereal?

Well I didn't convince him this pot pie was better than his cereal.  We each had our different dinners and mine looked a million times more delicious, but I couldn't taste a thing.  Having a cold makes my taste buds paralyzed or something.  I could smell or taste anything I was eating :(  It was a fail all around.  

David even got some girl scout cookies, thin mints, from work and I couldn't even taste those.  Very disappointing.  So maybe I should have just stuck with the canned chicken noodle soup since I wouldn't even taste it.  Might be something worth remembering the next time the cold decides to take over our house.  I think we have had our share of stuffy noses and I am ready to be able to enjoy my food, be able to say "nose" instead of "dose" and "Katelyn" instead of "Kate-l", and to be able to see friends without getting them sick.

No comments: