Monday, March 7, 2011

Good ol' February

This month hasn't been too wonderful.  We started it off passing around a cold.  I go and volunteer at the school after the kids leave once a week.  Some of the kids are still there and are waiting for their parents, who are teachers, to finish up and take them home.  One girl in particular is one that I had in my class when I student taught.  She was excited to play with Katelyn.  I wasn't so excited about this.  She came sniffling and sneezing away and I knew I was in for it.  She asked to play with Katelyn and I suggested she wash her hands first.  She went over to the sink and flicked water around and called it good.  I offered her some of my hand sanitizer and may have given her a little too much on purpose.  I had her rub it in really well and up to her elbows too :)

Katelyn is usually very cautious to smile at strangers, but this little girl was trustable I guess.  Katelyn was smiling, grabbing her glasses, and playing with her in no time.

Not long after that visit, Katelyn was sniffling.  David noticed first, and I blamed it on the crying.  It lasted all week and the sniffles stuffed her up.  It was passed on to me and then on to David as well.

We all cleared up and were on our way.  Katelyn's didn't clear up all the way I guess.  One day she was hot.  Just by holding her I could tell she had a fever.  I figured it was probably teething, but called the doctor just in case.  My at home temperature checks were high and they asked me to come in.  Her congestion turned into an ear infection and the fever was connected to it.  We picked up some antibiotics and were on our way.  Katelyn loved the medicine and didn't seem to be in too much pain so it was manageable.

David started working Saturdays so he only gets one-day weekends now.  It's busy season.  I am coaching the basketball games on my own now which isn't as fun.  The boys miss having David around at the games.  I miss him too.  This Saturday is our last game and pizza party.  David won't be able to be there because of work.  Bummer.

Valentine's day wasn't anything too fancy.  Each year we trade off and this year it was my turn to plan our date.  We don't know anyone too well to babysit, so we had Katelyn with us but we still like her so we were okay with it.  David only gets Sunday off so I had limited time.  David also has a tough time wanting gifts of any kind.  If he wants something, he gets it.  He has a hard time wanting me to get him gifts because he sees it as his money being spent on him and he already has the basic things he needs.  He is very simple too. So the real way to his heart is food.  I made some egg rolls and I think David is convinced that I am Asian because the egg rolls, sweet 'n sour sauce and fried rice was that good.  We went and enjoyed a college basketball game that night too.  On the real Valentine's day, I snuck a little love note with him as he went off to work.  Katelyn and I joined him for leftover Asian food and cookies for lunch.  I made some yummy tacos for dinner.  His belly was filled with love that weekend and he was a happy boy.

No comments: