Saturday, July 17, 2010

My Cute Nerd

David has been having a blast lately!  He is so excited each day as new things are starting up for him.  I have let him know how much of a cute nerd he is, and I think he considers that my approval and gets more excited.

  • He started one of his classes for his grad school.  This is only an 6 week class or so that will go for the rest of the summer.  He thinks it is so fun to be back at school.  He was so excited when his book came in the mail and when he got the syllabus.  We were at our last doctor's appointment and it was going longer than expected and I noticed he was getting ancy as he wanted to get to class extra early.  This wasn't an ultrasound or a big appointment, so I said he could go if he wanted.  He stayed at the appointment, but never stopped shaking his leg like he was ready to jump up and run out of there.  He said he still got to class 5 minutes early on his first day of school.  Good student :)
  • Wednesday nights are his ping pong nights.  He considered taking another class that would have been on Wednesday nights, but decided not to until we know if he will have a job in a month or not to pay for it and other upcoming expenses.  I bet the real reason he didn't want to take it was that it would interfere with his ping pong playing time.  Saving money sounds better, so I will let him go with that :)
  • A while back, David had a week or so where he liked playing Starcraft.  Some strategy computer game.  He wasn't obsessive, but he liked to fit in a game or two where he could.  He knows that I think it is boring and after a few games of it he has had his fix of it and is done for a year or so.  Apparently they are coming out with a second edition or second something, and I have seen David stop and peek at the displays that are at Best Buy and at some stand in the mall at a gaming store.  He has heard it is supposed to be pretty neat and he is a little excited for it.  I don't think he would buy it the day it came out, but eventually he would.  The other day he got an email and he was selected to be a beta tester for this new game.  I thought he was going to wet his pants he was so excited.  This meant he got to play for free!  He has downloaded the tester version of the game just last night and he was a little annoyed to find out as he woke up a little earlier than usual this morning to find out there was a second part he needed to download before he could "test" it out.  He wasn't sure what to do with his morning now that he was up.  He went around the apartment and found everything that had batteries in it to see if he could get his wireless mouse to work, but he didn't have any luck with that.  He was just going to have to play with the touch pad mouse thing on the laptop until he got batteries.  Finally it was all done downloading and he was so excited to play.  He had some time before his Saturday ping pong started.  He started playing and was very nervous about our internet connection that goes out when it feels like it.  He felt that if the company were to be serious about this beta testing, they should have offered an amazing internet connection and two large monitors so that he could get the full feel of the game. . . and a mouse with full strength batteries.  I guess they are lucky to have such a tester as David to be so "willing".  It was getting close to noon when his ping pong started and I asked him if he was going to go play.  He said maybe, with a laugh knowing he was such a nerd.  He finished his game and won I guess.  He decided that Starcraft "testing" could wait and he wanted to play ping pong more than he wanted another game at the moment.  So off he went.
  • I reminded him that he needed to make sure his homework was done for this week's classes before he played too much Starcraft.  He was annoyed that they didn't ask him to do beta testing for them a month ago.  Too much fun stuff at one time. . . what is the boy to do?
  • He got to have Coco Dyno-Bites this week as a little breakfast treat.  It is his favorite cereal and he was very excited and claimed it would help him do his best at school.  I will let him believe that, but I also know that he finished off the bottle of TUMS this week so I'm questioning whether the Coco Dyno-Bites are so helpful or not :)
  • David ordered a preschool workbook for our little girl.  He wants to get her working on it as soon as he can.  I told him that we could wait a couple of years, but he said it is never too early to learn!  He wants to get her ready to start learning accounting soon too, but they don't have preschool workbooks for that, so he got the best looking one he could find.  He thinks this book will be good in preparation for accounting and he might have to make up his own accounting lessons because everyone needs to know the basics of accounting.  I am just going to let him do his thing on this.  
  • We tried to BBQ last night, but I ended up cooking the chicken on the stove.  We didn't have lighter fluid and I thought we would be fine since the briquettes said they were self lighting or something.  They are kind of old and had no self lighting abilities left in them so David worked really hard with some cardboard, a phone book, and some sticks to get the coals hot.  He was fanning and working some magic, but it just turned out to be a smokey mess with ashes in his hair.  He had a blast playing with the smokey fire and the home cooked chicken tasted great.
  • We took a tour of the hospital so we know where to check in, where to go, etc.  After the tour was finished and we were on our elevator ride down to leave, I asked him, "So where do we go first when we come in?"  He mumbled something that sounded a lot like astronaut.  I was trying to figure out what he was thinking so I asked, "what floor is that on?" He replied, "second floor."  I got it now.  He was thinking antepartum. . . which is on the second floor along with triage/labor and delivery check in.  Close, but not quite.  I think we might go take another tour of our own just to be clear.  I told him if he asked any of the hospital staff where the astronauts were then he might end up being checked in to the phyciatric part of the hospital and that I would be better off having him shouting that I was going to have a baby and we needed to know where to go.  
  • The hospital is about a 10-15 minute slow walk away and David has asked if he could just wheel me to the hospital in a shopping cart as there would be room for the hospital bag underneath.  He thinks this would be really fun, but I am sure to remind him that I will not be wanting to have fun when the day comes.  I can only imagine David pushing me around in a shopping cart trying to get to the astronauts on the second floor. . . . so much fun right?!  I guess I am just a party pooper, sorry babe.
 David always has good intentions. . . Sometimes I just have to laugh as I try to figure out his way of thinking.  I am sure he will be a cute nerd for a long time and I am happy he's happy.
Now I have to go try on my dress for the temple to make sure it still fits around this body.  We'll keep going each week as long as I fit!

No comments: