Monday, July 12, 2010

Fun Weekend Away

e went to Rexburg and Idaho Falls this year for the 4th of July weekend.  It was funny to think that we had lived there going to school, and had never spent the 4th of July there.  We have gone to the Oregon Coast each year.  So now that we move away, we decided to go back and have fun!  It makes perfect sense right?
We were able to see some good friends and play games just like the good ol' days.  Derek and Kelly even treated us to some sno cones which were as perfect as ever!  We stayed up way too late chatting away, but it was too fun and it had been too long so we had a lot to chat about.  So fun to see them!
On Saturday, the 3rd. . . Happy birthday Matt!. . . both Idaho Falls and Rexburg celebrated Independence Day.  With so much of these communities being LDS, it is probably a lot more convenient to do it all the Saturday before instead of on Sunday.  It started with the parade in the morning.  Will led the little kids in snatching up fun little gadgets and of course the candies being thrown from the floats.  I kept my eyes out for the floats that were tossing out salt water taffies, and I pounced on a few of them.  In my head, the salt water taffy just completes the parade experience. . . as long as I stay away from any of the black taffy!
David and I hung out at Shawna's for the day as it was a little too cold for swimming, but just right for hanging out in the sun.  I was so glad to finally have my two hairdressers back!
Emilia's hair reminds me too much of how mine always looked when I was little.  I am sure that it was because  of the goggles. . . and the twinkie on the face :)

Edison and Emelia were fun to see.  When they first saw me and the giant belly I've got, they were a little confused.  It had been 6 months since we had seen them so that was before the baby.  They weren't quite sure who I was and the idea of a baby girl in my belly was a new idea for them to try to take in.  I think they got it with a little of Amber's help as she helped the girls figure out who the different looking lady was.  The rest of the weekend, they thought the belly was fun and they liked to "tickle" her and try to feel her kick.

This little girl also has a lot to learn from her cousins and they can't wait to teach her how to walk, talk, jump on one foot, wear goggles, not hit, sing, clap, splash, fix hair, eat peanut butter sandwiches, get pushed on a swing (by David), color, buckle up in a car seat, go potty on a toilet, share candy, and even putting flip flops on.  Our baby girl will be set for the life of a 3 and 4 year old, no doubt!  I guess David and I are out of our jobs as parents as long as these two girls are around.
David and Chad put on a new screen door and I remember David taking breaks to eat some cheetos. . . and I don't remember him wiping off the cheesy prints I saw on there.
I promise there is nothing stinky about this picture, they are just making nice faces for no silly reason!  David was an excellent new screen door holder as you can see :)
For the rest of the day, I think we ate and ate and ate.  I don't think Amber's family knows how to stop cooking food, and it is good so everyone keeps eating!
We went and watched the grand firework show.  Everyone biked to the watching firework spot, but my knees would have run into the baby belly, so Nick and Christine just drove us over.
Nick kept telling me that riding a bike should be no problem. . . it would be just like when we would carry the huge bag loaded with newspapers and I could just pedal with my knees out to the side.  I considered, but decided it would just be better to park and walk the block instead.  I could only imagine how ridiculous. . . and too similar. . . .I would have looked trying to ride the bike without knocking the baby around.
The show was fun!  It was set to music which really seemed that if a song mentioned red, white, and blue, the Fireworks were those colors too.  It was fun to sing along to some of the patriotic songs, but I don't know how coordinated the fireworks and the music could get so I just liked the music as background.  There were a lot of big booms and bright skies.   My favorite fireworks are the ones that make the sky look all glittery. . . so pretty.
Christine put on a little baby shower and some friends and family that were staying in town for the weekend were able to come.  It was fun to see old roommates and friends.
We played some games and one of the funniest ones was the one where everyone tries to measure how round my belly is.  We used streamers and everyone just tore off how much they thought it would take to get around.  Everyone was actually really close and just had a little bit extra except one friend might have been able to get hers around twice!  Some things seem larger than they appear!

I got some cute books of all different levels that we will be reading to our baby from the day she's born.  One book we got just might be too true. . . I am afraid we might have our very own "Alice" on the way.

I also got some fun baby toys and adorable little outfits.  I am so amazed at how tiny the clothes are and that we are going to have a little baby that will actually fit into those teeny tiny clothes soon!  The bathing suit was too cute!
I also got a mother-to-be massage. . . it was heavenly!  I haven't laid face down in way too long.  After my massage, it was almost like I had this dreamy feel to me.  Just so relaxed and it felt so nice.  David may have thought I was drugged up or something, and I am sure he is tired of hearing how nice it was.  Pregnant or not, a massage is never turned down!
At the Adams', they have some swings that Edison and Emelia convinced David to push them on for quite a while.  They also have this other swing for the big kids.  All the chunky. . . I mean hunky. . . men grab the long rope hanging from the seat of the swing and run as the lucky rider gets a good fling.  David said it was more fun than it looks.  He thinks it is Edison's turn to push him on the big boy swing.

Nick looks too excited for his ride on the swing.  I think Drew is on the wrong side of the swing too.
I was offered a fun ride on the swing myself, and I was willing as long as someone was going to catch the baby.  Surprisingly, nobody took me up on that, so I just sat with Edison and Emelia to watch.  They told me the baby wouldn't like that kind of swing anyways.
The weekend full of food, fun, family, more food, friends and fireworks. . . .and a massage, couldn't have been a better break from all this getting ready for the baby nonsense I am still trying to figure out.  Yes I have been so busy preparing for this baby as I sit  by the pool with a popsicle in hand.  So rough!  Maybe today I will diaper up a few milk jugs and cereal boxes for practice.

No comments: